History of Kalam darchi fort
By Javeed Mehmood
Kalam darchi fort reminds the colonial architecture of the region. This fort was named after a naked saint and was built by British soldier during 1932-33 to cheek the invasion and inflow of people from China and USSR through Wakan corridor. It remained the abode of Gilgit scouts, NLI and Pakistan army and underwent metamorphic changes during these periods. It has been restored and maintained by Pak army on various occasion and was once training school of Pak army. This fort has almost 60 rooms for various uses like dormitories, storage, service rooms, lavatories and open spaces. The outer fortified wall has thickness of 3-4 feet and constructed by stone with lime mortar. This squares type has four watch towers on each corner. The average height of the fortified wall is 20 feet and 10 feet addition of watch tower on each corner. For security purposes only one door has been placed and door thick ness is 9″ and was fabricated in still.
The placement of this fort is very strategic, as this was built on junction of three valleys Kilik, Mintika and Dlesung. Kilik and Mintika connect this region to China and Dilesung to Wakan corridor of Afghanistan.