Key declarations were made during a conference on Climate change Adaptation in Gilgit.
Gilgit, April 11(Sost Today) : Two-day Conference on Climate Change Adaptation was jointly organized by the Department of Earth Sciences, Karakoram International University (KIU) and Focus Humanitarian Assistance Pakistan from April 8-9th 2014 (Musharraf Hall, KIU). Scientists and researchers from KIU, Pakistan Meteorological department, Global Change Impact Study Center and Focus Humanitarian Assistance presented papers on various aspects of Climate Change.
. The conference declaration is as following:
- Research on climate change with special reference to Gilgit-Baltistan is quite limited however; the available data reveals that there are visible indications of climate change ultimately affecting the living conditions and livelihood of people in this region.
- There is genuine need to promote research on Climate Change and related issues at all levels andespecially at Karakoram International University.
- There is emergent need of research endeavors in the face of climate change hence the role of DRR practitioners and researchers become vital.
- There is dire need to make necessary arrangements for integrating the issues of climate change at school, and college levels and it is strongly recommended that it should be made part of the curriculum.
- There is strong need to promote and encourage Civil Society and government agencies to jointly initiate climate change adaptation projects and interventions
- The National Policy on Climate Change should be adopted at GB level with permission of appropriate legislation and implementation framework
- The Gilgit Baltistan Disaster Management Plan should be revised and there is strong need to include the theme of climate change in line with the national climate change policy
- Promote advocacy , awareness raising and capacity building at all levels through conference, workshop, seminar and training sessions
- There is genuine need to form a Provincial level Climate Change working Group that includes representatives from Government, Civil Society and Academia.
- The dissemination of research and latest knowledge on Climate Change must be made available to the general people in order to enhance resilience and adaptation strategies. The role of media and civil society organizations is crucial and there should be mechanisms to disseminate information.
- Encourage local and national media to initiate programs for awareness raising and sensitization about climate change and its effects on communities living in these disaster prone areas.